Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Articles - what are they?
- An article is a written piece from a publication such as a journal, magazine or newspaper.
- Faculty expect edited pieces from a valid publisher; information on the web from companies or individuals and wikipedia are usually unacceptable
- Faculty may require articles of a particular type, i.e. newspaper, popular magazine, or scholarly journal.
- Access to articles is provided through licensed databases on the library website. These databases collect articles from many publications.
- Some of the most useful of these databases for your discipline are listed to the right. Others are found in our A-Z database list.
Searching for articles
Search individual databases. Most relevant for this subject are:
Criminal Justice Abstracts witih Full Text
Covers areas related to criminal justice and criminology. Over 300,000 journal sources from around the world, with full text coverage of more than 200.
Criminal Justice Collection
Whether studying to become a lawyer or law enforcement officer, paralegal, or for a career in Homeland Security, this collection rises to the challenge.
Homeland Security Digital Library
The nation's premier collection of homeland security policey and strategy-related documents.
Military & Government Collection
Designed to offer current news pertaining to all branches of the military and government.
Security Management Practices
Professional reports relating to IT & organizational security, risk management, business planning, emergency and disaster management.
SocINDEX with Full-Text
The world's most comprehensive sociology research database, with extensive coverage of scholarly journals.
WestlawNext Campus Research
Comprehensive resource for legal research, business information, and news.
Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection
Offers full text coverage for over 560 journals
Religion and Philosophy Collection
Extensive coverage of world religions, biblical studies, religious history, political philosophy, philosophy of language, moral philosophy and the history of philosophy.
Health Reference Center Academic
Indexing, abstracting, and some full-text of medical and health-related periodicals. Includes full-text of core medical reference books.
New York Newspapers
Full-text of 10 NY newspapers, including the NY Times and NY Post.
Articles - How to Search for Them
1. Try a title or keyword search on your topic.
2. Look for useful "subject" or "descriptor" words. These will either be in a list on the results page, or you may need to look at a number of individual records.
3. Go back to the search screen and search BY SUBJECT/DESCRIPTOR (not by title/keyword) using the words you discovered in step 2.
4. Be sure to take advantage of:
- Boolean connectors (AND, OR, NOT)
- Truncation/Wildcard (educat*)
- Phrase searching ("childhood obesity")
5. When you find an item you want, use ArticleLinker to get it.
Browse for periodicals
Browse online journals HERE